How do I set up the unit for my network?
ControlByWeb devices can connect to a network with either a static IP address or by using DHCP. There are a few different options for setting up your device:
Finding and Assigning a Static IP Address
(BEST) OPTION 1: Contact IT Admin
Contact your IT administrator and they should provide you with an available IP address on your network.
OPTION 2: Check Router Settings
If you don’t have an IP administrator, available IP addresses can be found through your router settings. Each router is different, refer to the routers user’s manual.
OPTION 3: Use cmd (Windows) or Terminal (Mac)
If you’re unable to contact an IT administrator or access your router, you can assign a static IP address or use DHCP to connect to your device.
To find an available IP address on your network, follow these steps (Windows):
- Press “Windows Key + R” to open the “Run” window.
- Type “cmd” then click OK. The Command Prompt will open, which is a black window with white text.
- Now enter “ipconfig” and press enter to see your current IP address.
- Input “ping” followed by your IP with a different number after the last period. For example, if your IP is 192.168.1.2, type “ping 192.168.1.56”.
This will read “Destination Host Unreachable” if the IP address is unclaimed and available for use.
To find IP addresses being used on your network on Mac:
- Open “Terminal” in your Applications or press CMD + Spacebar and type “Terminal” into the search bar.
- Type “ifconfig” and press Enter. Then type “arp -a” and press Enter.
- This will show you the IP addresses being used on your current network.
If you’re on Windows 10, this short tutorial explains how you can change the IP address on your network:
Once you have found an IP address that can be used, the following video shows how to establish communication with your device.
Using DHCP to Connect to your Network with a ControlByWeb Device
ControlByWeb devices can connect to a network via DHCP. If you're using DHCP, and a ControlByWeb device is connected to your network, another device on the network called a DHCP server detects the presence of the ControlByWeb device and automatically assigns it an IP address. On small networks, most DHCP servers are built into the router.
All ControlByWeb device control and setup pages are accessed through the assigned IP address. We usually recommend using a static IP address which is fixed and does not change, so that you can more easily access the device setup and control pages.
Using DHCP is another alternative to using a static IP, and the following steps walk you through setting up DHCP:
- Under General Settings, in Network, change “Use DHCP” to Yes.
- Click Submit.
- Reboot your device.
- Access your router settings and find the IP that was assigned to your device.
- Use the assigned IP address to access your device at ipaddress/setup.html
Please note that each router is different, and some routers may change which IP address is assigned to your device each time it is powered on. Contact your IT administrator for more information related to your router.
Additional information about DHCP for our wireless units can be found here: https://www.controlbyweb.com/xw110/tutorials/setup-using-dhcp.html
If you have any additional questions about cellular data plans, contact us.